Philippines Angeles Mission POB 30150 Salt Lake City UT 84130-0150

Monday, January 2, 2012

I learned three things

We love the Planking pictures.  We send him ours and he sends his it has been a fun tradition.


How was your week? What kind of things happened to you this week?   Are you teaching anyone specific?

 This week I learned three things:
1. Spiders have a knowledge of triangles at a level that humans could never even imagine to achieve. We cleaned out our back porch area (which hasn't been cleaned in probably 10 years) and made it look nice, so we aren't stuck in the house all the time. I saw some of the most impressive spiderwebs that exist anywhere in the world. I also hear spiders are not poisonous here and they make great "pets" for children.

2. College was great. I learned a lot from it. In comparison to my mission, I didn't learn a thing. At college, I learned to separate clothes by color and boil water for food. As of this week, I know how to actually cook real food. I can make maraming ulam. (which I will show you in some pictures later). I can also wash my clothes by hand. We have a member in our ward who does it for us, but she charges 300 pesos per week. If I do it myself, it will cost about 40 pesos per week. hopefully by my next area I will be able to do it well without any help.
3. Except for thanksgiving, I have not celebrated a holiday in 6 months. There is literally nothing in the Philippines that is the same as in America, and New Years Eve was no different.
Today on the hike, we ate ulam at kanin off banana leaves. I took a video of it, and you'll probably die when you see it.
How is your companion?
My companion is so great. I loved elder casilac, but I could be with my companion until he goes home and not have a problem. Me and him get along so well. 
 What did you do for New Years?
This is what happened on new years:
New Years Eve we taught one investigator, he comes to institute all the time and actually works with us sometimes. He's great. The first visit (after he came to church with a friend) we asked him to pray about what we're teaching. his response was "Hindi." we couldn't understand why he wouldn't pray about it, and then he explained he already knows its true.
After we taught him we had ice cream on our front porch (people aren't allowed inside missionaries homes) and then I went to bed.
New years day we went to church, I took a nap, then we had family home evening at a members home with elder and sister Roberts. They;re great.

Matt  wants to know if are you wearing your mission goggles and do you remember the story about the oats and barley?
You tell Matt of course I remember the oats and barley, but its good to remind me every few months. Tell him to remind me again in March. Ask him if the superhero is still on the corner of the library bookshelf.



No comments:

Post a Comment